Saturday 26 May 2012

The Harcombe Diet

I am linking with Sue from Our New Life  in the Country and her new blog on the Harcombe Diet. This seems as good a time as any to give this a go and if you want to find out more, just pop over to Sue's blog at
http://thehowlowcanyougofooddiary.blogspot.co.uk/

I bought my copy on kindle at Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Harcombe-Diet-Counting-ebook/dp/B00584MST4/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1338054985&sr=1-1



DAY 1

Mr Thifty does not need to lose weight. Like all of our children, he is long and lean. However, he suffers from many of the 'niggles' talked about in this book and so thought he'd give it a go with me. I, on the other hand, have a substantial amount of weight to lose, am classified medically as obese and need to lose weight for my health as well as for my self-esteem.  I will attempt to chart my trials and tribulations here.

I was a low birth weight baby, born 3 weeks early and breach. My mother was told to feed me (formula) 2 hourly and so I guess that was when the rot set in and my natural ability to gauge appetite was well and truly sabotaged. I remained a slim child until about the age of 8 and then developed 'puppy fat'.... mmm... so am guessing it's now dog fat and it hasn't shifted!

My "dieting"  started with my meals being restricted - I am talking late 1960s, when we ate 3 meals a day, no convenience or processed food, no snacks - we had cake and biscuits at Christmas and pocket money sweets on Saturdays.  My mother was very health conscious and 4 out of my 5 siblings are of normal weight. I think I learned to use food as an emotional crutch and have tried almost every diet going over the last 40 years, including...

Weight Watchers
Slimming World
The Cambridge Diet
Slim Fast
The  Atkins Diet
The Cabbage Soup Diet
Rosemary Conley
Fasting
Counting Calories
The You Are What You Eat system
The Food Doctor Diet
A week at a "Fat Camp" (cost £1000)
Food counselling
NLP (cost £300 for 6 sessions)
Chinese traditional medicine
Appetite suppressants
Natural remedies
Xenical

My book shelves are cluttered by every imaginable diet book and none of them has worked for me! My weight has continued to steadily climb over the years and I am not going to blame pregnancy since I only put 14lbs on with each baby which disappeared the minute they were born (their weights were 8lbs 5oz, 9lbs 1oz, 9lbs 7oz and 9lbs 15oz). All the children have good BMIs although the younger 2 (17 and 19) are somewhat low, which I put down to their heights. They were all breastfed, on demand, and allowed to wean when they chose. They were breastfed exclusively for 6 months and then weaned gently using vegetables and fruit. They had no dairy, wheat or sugar until well after the first year of life. I add this because I believe that this has impacted on their health as young adults. Apart from chicken pox, none of them has ever been ill, needed an operation, or has allergies or food sensitivities.

Right now, I feel like I always do at the beginning of a new regime .... 'This is the one' and 'This time I am going to do it'.  Well, lovely readers, join me and see........

Meals Day 1 (phase 1)
Breakfast - scrambled egg + natural yogurt
Snack - tub of natural yogurt and a handful of cherry tomatoes
Lunch - hard boiled eggs with tomatoes, cucumber, mixed lettuce leaves and olives.
Dinner - rainbow trout, brown rice and asparagus with home-made mayonnaise and cherry tomatoes.

Drinks - water and herbal teas

Wish me luck xx


7 comments:

  1. I do wish you luck, lots of it.

    The comments are working now :-)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Mrs T.....I'm following you and Sue and will be joining in myself from tomorrow (Monday)

    Regards, Sooze xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you all the luck,I will have a look at the book over at amazon,is it a no carbs diet? I so identify with you ,struggled with my weight all my life too,at my heaviest now.Thinking of starting a weight blog too,Any tips on adding another blog to my exsisting blog? I'm sure having company will spur me along~I always end up giving up and more weight goes on than when i started :( xoxoxojuliexxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie - thank you and thanks also for joining this blog. Phase 1 is definitely low carb although you can eat unlimited vegetables and 50 grams of brown rice (or quinoa or oats) every day. After phase 1, which only lasts 5 days you can have unrefined carbs - so vegetables, fruit and brown rice, bread, pasta, etc. The emphasis is on unrefined foods - so eating foods, as far as possible, as nature intended them; an orange rather than juice from a carton; whole fish not fish fingers. Phase 2 lasts until you are the weight you want to be. This is a way of eating for life rather than a diet. It teaches you to treat refined foods as an occasional indulgence and not an everyday necessity. To start a new blog, go onto your dashboard (the bit you get when you first sign in) and on the right there is a tab which says - new blogs - just click this, choose a name and away you go. Sue, Sooze and I are trying to support each other and would love to have you join if you feel it is for you. Will give you all the help I can. Like you, I am at my heaviest ever and can't allow this to continue. I don't want my health to suffer. I know there are others watching, but not yet joining in - this helps me stay on track, because I feel that if I can lose weight it might encourage others to do the same. Let me know how I can help xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely,I'm going to buy the book and hope to join in,I have health issues,Rheaumatoid Arthritus and high blood pressure, which is not helped by being overweight probably,I'm at my heaviest too,its crept on through the winter badly and I cant fit into last years size 16 summer clothes :( Thankyou for the help on starting a new blog I will give it a go.and thanks so much for your support.I'll keep in touch,lots of love juliexoxo

      Delete
    2. I have high blood pressure too. It was always fine until about a year ago and then it suddenly shot up. I was under a lot of stress at work, but I am sure my weight contributed. I am now on medication for it. I also have an under active thyroid and take thyroxine for that... as well as Meniere's Disease .. ha ha what an old crock I am. I wonder if the diet could help your rheumatoid arthritis? xxx

      Delete